Red wine and dark chocolate Bundt
They say life’s too short to drink bad wine and while that may be true, it is certainly not too short to eat it! This cake will turn your cheapest, nastiest bottle of red wine into something special!
Red wine and dark chocolate bundt
250 grams of plain flour
50 grams of dutch cocoa powder
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
115 grams of unsalted butter (softened)
300 grams of caster sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
2 large eggs
180 millilitres of red wine (preferably merlot)
180 millilitres of whole milk
115 grams of dark chocolate (melted and cooled)
Dark chocolate glaze
100 grams of good quality white chocolate
100 grams of thickened cream
Make the red wine and dark chocolate bundt
- Preheat your oven to 180C
- Grease a Bundt tin.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the caster sugar to the butter and cream for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the vanilla bean paste and eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, red wine and chocolate until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared Bundt tin.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out of the centre of the cake clean. Set aside to cool.
Make the dark chocolate ganache
- Place the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan until almost boiling.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and allow to sit for 30 seconds.
- Mix the chocolate and cream together, ensuring there are no lumps.
- Add the white food colouring and tint to the desired shade.
Assemble the red win and dark chocolate bundt cake
- Once the cake is completely cooled, drizzle the white chocolate ganache on top.