Peanut butter and jam layer cake
Vanilla bean cake
300 grams of plain flour
3 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
150 grams of unsalted butter (softened)
300 grams of caster sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla bean paste
5 egg whites
Peanut butter and jam frosting
140 grams of cream cheese (softened)
140 grams of unsalted butter (softened)
250 grams of icing sugar
6 tablespoons of smooth peanut butter
Natural strawberry flavouring
Pink gel food colouring
Make the vanilla bean cake
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Grease four 6 inch cake tins and line with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the caster sugar to the butter and cream for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the vanilla bean paste and egg whites to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk until combined.
- Evenly divide the cake batter between the three prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out of the centre of the cakes clean. Set aside to cool.
Make the peanut butter and jam frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cream cheese, butter and icing sugar.
- Evenly divide the cream cheese mixture into two bowls.
- To one bowl add the peanut butter and combine well.
- To the other bowl add a few drops of natural strawberry flavouring and pink gel food colouring. Combine well.
Assemble the peanut butter and jam cake
- Once the cakes are completely cooled, level them to ensure that the tops of the cakes are flat.
- Add the peanut butter frosting to a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- Add the jam frosting to a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- Using a small amount of peanut butter frosting, affix one cake to a cake board or plate.
- Pipe alternating mounds of peanut butter and jam frosting on the cake. Repeat with the remaining layers of cake.
- Finish with sprinkles and fresh raspberries.