Fizzy lemonade cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
200 grams of plain flour
2 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of salt
100 grams of unsalted butter (softened)
200 grams of caster sugar
2 large eggs
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste
180 millilitres of bitter lemon soft drink
250 grams of caster sugar
135 grams of egg whites
370 grams of unsalted butter (softened)
½ teaspoon lemon zest
Yellow food colouring
Make lemonade cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 180◦C.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake patties.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth.
- Add the caster sugar to the butter and cream for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the lemon zest and eggs to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the bitter lemon soft drink.
- Evenly divide the cake batter between the cupcake patties.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out of the centre of the cupcakes clean. Set aside to cool.
Make the lemon buttercream
- Combine the sugar and egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Place the stand mixer bowl over a saucepan of water to create a double boiler. Ensure that the water does not touch the bottom of the stand mixer bowl.
- Heat the sugar and egg whites to 70◦C, stirring occasionally with a whisk.
- Once at temperature, transfer the stand mixture bowl to the stand mixer. With a whisk attachments, beat the eggs and sugar on a high speed until stiff peaks are formed.
- Change the whisk attachment to a paddle attachment. Add the butter slowly on a low speed.
- Add the lemon zest and combine well.
Assemble the lemonade cupcakes
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, use the bottom of a large piping tip to cut a hole in each of the cupcakes.
- Remove the middle of the cupcake. Fill the hole with sprinkles and popping candy. Replace the top of the cupcake that you cut out with the piping tip.
- Tint the lemon buttercream to the desired shade and add to a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 1B tip or similar.
- Pipe the buttercream on to each of the cupcakes in a spiral pattern.
- Finish with pink sprinkles and a pink straw.