Chocolate and berry pavlova
Makes one 9 inch pavlova
210 grams of egg white (approximately 6 eggs)
¼ teaspoon of salt
350 grams of caster sugar
1½ teaspoons of white vinegar
1½ teaspoons of vanilla bean paste
1½ tablespoons of cornflour
4 tablespoons of dutch cocoa powder
300 millilitres of thickened cream
Fresh berries and mint
Make the brown sugar pavlova
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 C.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9 inch spring form tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the egg whites and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment.
- Whip on a medium-slow speed and gradually add the caster sugar.
- Once all the caster sugar is incorporated, add the vinegar and vanilla bean paste. Combine well.
- Sift the cornflour and cocoa powder into the egg white mixture and gently fold in with a spatula.
- Add the mixture on to the prepared spring form tin.
- Place the pavlova in the oven and cook for 10 minutes on high.
- Turn the oven down to 100 C and bake the pavlova for 120 minutes. Do not open the oven while the pavlova is cooking.
- Turn the oven off and allow the pavlova to return to room temperature.
Assemble the brown sugar pavlova
- Once the pavlova is cool, whip the thickened cream.
- Top with the pavlova with whipped cream, berries and mint. Serve immediately.